The village of Aboyne itself was founded in 1671 by the first Earl of Aboyne. Aboyne Parish Church was constructed in 1842 on the site of the original church which was erected in 1761. There is a vault under the church which may date back to 1762 (further details here). At the time of the Union of the Established Church in 1929 Aboyne Parish Church was renamed St Machar's Parish Church and in 1936 it united with the former Aboyne United Free Church. In 1985 St Machar's Church was linked with Dinnet Parish Church and in 1993 this linkage became a union under the name of Aboyne-Dinnet Parish Church with Dinnet Church closing in 1999.. Finally in 2006 Aboyne-Dinnet Parish Church was linked with Cromar Parish Church.